CGI VIDEO DOWNLOADS
Updated April 8, 2016
Cognitively Guided Instruction (CGI) is a teacher professional development program that helps teachers understand how primary school children think about mathematics. The videos available for purchase show children solving math problems and teachers interacting with children about their mathematical thinking. Purchasing these videos allows you to download them to your computer so that you can show them in professional development sessions.
- Current CGI Videos (2014) developed to accompany Children’s Mathematics: Cognitively Guided Instruction. These videos are the same that appear on the Heinemann website. If viewing them from the Heinemann website serves your purpose, you need not purchase these videos. Currently, there are no videos in this set of videos that are not included on the Heinemann website. Download the Current CGI Videos Logs.
** These videos and logs are currently unavailable. Please contact Linda Levi for more information.
- Thinking Mathematically Videos (2003) developed to accompany Thinking Mathematically: Integrating Arithmetic and Algebra in Elementary School. This set contains 31 videos consisting of individual students solving problems, small groups of students working with a teacher to solve and share their thinking with each other and whole class, discussions of solutions to problems, and teacher interviews. This set of video includes the 14 video clips distributed with the book and 17 additional videos. Download the Thinking Mathematically Video logs.
- CGI Classic Videos (1997) developed to accompany Children’s Mathematics: Cognitively Guided Instruction. This set contains 108 videos consisting of individual students solving problems; small groups of students working with a teacher to solve problems and share their thinking with each other, whole class discussions of solutions to problems, and teacher interviews. These videos have been converted from VHS and the quality is not quite as good as the new videos. Download CGI Classic Video logs.
PRIVACY AND RESTRICTIONS
Parents, teachers and children allowed us to make and distribute these videos with the understanding that they would be used for educational purposes only and that the identity of the people in the videos and their privacy be respected. These videos are copyrighted. You may not distribute these videos to others after downloading them and you must agree to use these videos only for educational purposes. Hence, before downloading any of the videos you will be required to agree:
- to use them solely for your own use in training educators;
- not to share, duplicate, reproduce, or distribute the videos;
- not give the videos or copies of the videos to anyone else;not to post the videos on any website, including password protected websites;
- use the videos for teacher education purposes only;
- not include the videos or video transcripts in published materials without written consent of Teachres Development Group;
- not to share indentifyng information about any teachers or children in the videos.
CGI PUBLICATIONS FOR TEACHERS
Children's Mathematics, Second Edition: Cognitively Guided Instruction (2014) by Thomas P Carpenter, Elizabeth Fennema, Megan Loef Franke, Linda Levi and Susan B. Empson. Published by Heinemann.
Extending Children's Mathematics: Fractions & Decimals. Innovations In Cognitively Guided Instruction (Paperback) (2011) by Susan Empson and Linda Levi. Published by Heinemann.
Thinking Mathematically: Integrating Arithmetic and Algebra in Elementary School (Paperback) (2003) by Thomas Carpenter, Megan Franke and Linda Levi.